Maker Camp is funded in part by the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and the generous support of the Members of Make: Community.
WHAT WILL YOU MAKE?PRINT THESE INSTRUCTIONS
WHAT WILL YOU NEED?
- 4-5 Newspaper sheets
- String or thread
- Craft Knife
- Cutting Mat or Cardboard
Cut the Strips
- Turn one newspaper sheet sideways.
- Make a hash mark every two inches.
- Mark the opposite side in the same way.
- Cut the strips by placing the ruler across two of the marks and cutting across with a craft knife.
- Make 20 strips.
Fold the strips
- Fold each strip in half, hotdog style (make sure that you don’t cover up the side you want to show).
- Open the strip.
- Fold both edges into the center line you created on your first fold.
- Fold along the center line you originally created. You should now have a strip that is roughly 1/2 inch wide.
- Lay 10 strips vertically. The 5 on the left should have the crease facing the left and the 5 on the right should have the crease facing the right.
- Weave a strip horizontally by going over, under, over, until you’ve gone all the way across. It might help to place a heavy object across the vertical strips to help keep them from moving.
- Weave in the rest of the strips. Make sure that each half of the strips have the crease facing out.
Cut the String
- Measure a length of thread that is a little over two times the circumference of the base.
- Cut it.
- Fold it in half.
- Loop the string around a strip so that one half of the string is underneath the strip and the other is on top.
- Twist the ends between the strip.
- Switch the positions of the string ends so that the one on top now goes underneath the next strip.
- Continue the twining process until you reach the beginning.
- Tie the ends of the string together.
Weave the Sides
- Start with one of the sides. Split them in half so that you have 5 strips on one side and 5 on the other.
- Cross the middle two strips.
- Weave both halves together.
- Tighten up the weaving.
- Temporarily secure the woven side with a paperclip.
- Weave together the remaining three sides the same way.
- Weave the sides into each other so it makes one solid shape.
Make the Edge
- Start with any two strips that are next to each other and fold one strip over the other.
- Weave this into the inside of the basket.
- Now fold over the one next to it and weave that one into to the inside of the basket.
- Continue this process until all of the strips have been folded into the inside.
Add Finishing Touches
- Cut off the remaining edges of the strips from the inside.
- Tighten up the strips by pulling each one from the base up through the top.
- Continue this until you think it’s tight enough.
- Make the base flat by placing the basket upside down and over a container and placing a heavy object on top of it for several hours.
Your safety is your own responsibility, including proper use of equipment and safety gear, and determining whether you have adequate skill and experience. Power tools, electricity, and other resources used for these projects are dangerous, unless used properly and with adequate precautions, including safety gear and adult supervision. Some illustrative photos do not depict safety precautions or equipment, in order to show the project steps more clearly. Use of the instructions and suggestions found in Maker Camp is at your own risk. Make Community, LLC, disclaims all responsibility for any resulting damage, injury, or expense.
Kits and Books From Maker Shed
Make: produces a variety of great products and helpful project tutorials to enhance your making experience.