WHAT WILL YOU MAKE?PRINT THESE INSTRUCTIONS
WHAT WILL YOU NEED?
- 6" of PVC Pipe
- 7" long wooden dowel that can fit inside the PVC pipe
- Sponge Emery Board
- Drill a hole through the PVC pipe one inch away from the end.
- Now drill a hole through the wooden dowel at its center. The hole should be just large enough for the string to fit through.
Attach the Dowel
- Cut a hole into the middle of the sponge emery board that is large enough for the dowel to fit through.
- Secure it to the emery board with glue
Bend the Board
- Once the glue is dry, bend the ends of the emery board in opposite directions as seen in the photo.
- Insert the dowel into the PVC pipe.
Add the String
- Thread the string through the hole that you drilled in the PVC pipe and then through the hole that you drilled in the dowel (see picture).
- Turn the dowel so that the string winds around it until there is a small piece left hanging out of the PVC pipe.
- Hold the pipe vertically and pull the string out as hard as you can!
- If your chopper doesn’t fly away, then try turning the dowel in the opposite direction when you wind up the string.
Your safety is your own responsibility, including proper use of equipment and safety gear, and determining whether you have adequate skill and experience. Power tools, electricity, and other resources used for these projects are dangerous, unless used properly and with adequate precautions, including safety gear and adult supervision. Some illustrative photos do not depict safety precautions or equipment, in order to show the project steps more clearly. Use of the instructions and suggestions found in Maker Camp is at your own risk. Make Community, LLC, disclaims all responsibility for any resulting damage, injury, or expense.
Kits and Books From Maker Shed
Make: produces a variety of great products and helpful project tutorials to enhance your making experience.