- This event has passed.
MakeFashion Edu: Spikes and Horns
August 28 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am PDT
Become a Dinosaur with a Plastic BagWe all wanted to be a dinosaur at one point or another, I know I did! Now you can be a dinosaur any day you choose (and help the planet while doing it!). Learn how to upcycle used plastic bags and fashion it into a wearable spiky spine you can add on top of your clothing.
Want more? Using a MOSFET and some bright LEDs, we will also show you how to make a simple touch signal circuit that will use your body as a conductor. You can add this circuit to control when your spikes will light up with a simple touch of your finger, elbows, knees or toes!
The light up spikes are not only decorative, but also communicative! Get a dinosaur pack together and you can send Morse code through your spikes!
WATCH LIVE on the Family Maker Camp Facebook page or on the Kids Make: Youtube channel.
Once you know how to make the circuit, you could add it to cosplay costumes, home lightning, or build a puzzle feeder for your dog!
Gather your supplies to follow along.
Materials from around the house (not shown on Dino Spikes Amazon list):
- Plastic shopping bags (1- 4)
- 1 piece cardboard, approximately 2 inches by 5 inches
- Parchment paper, 2 pieces approximately 8 inches x 11 inches or larger
- 9 Jumper test leads with alligator clip ends
- 1 Mosfet
- 3 pieces Aluminum foil, approximately 2 inches square
- 1-2 meters fairy wire (preferably broken- we’re going to hack it!)
- The battery holder might be included with your fairy wire, but if not, get these:
- 1 Double AA battery holder- holds three
- 3 Double AA batteries
- 1 Ironing board or thick towel + flat surface
- 1 Iron
- 1 pair of Scissors
- 1 Marker
- 2-3 Circular objects around the home to trace in varying sizes (cups, bowls, vases, etc)
- Adhesive: Stapler, tape, or hot glue (whatever’s at home)
- Paint, Markers
- Ribbon, glitter, gems, aluminum foil
- Decorative small items to repurpose around the home
- Velcro/ velcro dots / safety pins
- Soldering set up
- Glove (got ones that are missing their buddy?)
- Ribbon, and/or string
For more information:
Youtube: MakeFashion Edu