- This event has passed.
Ping-Pong Machines with The Wonderful Idea Company
August 26 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am PDT
Ping-Pong MachinesUse everyday materials to create a cardboard and ping-pong ball machine on your door that sounds an alarm, turns on the lights or feeds your goldfish when someone enters the room. We’ll start the explorations using physical materials, ramps and rollers and then add in the digital world of sounds, LEDs and motors controlled by a Micro:bit microcontroller. There’s no limit to how far you can take this tinkering project.
- ping-pong balls
- cardboard (from recycled boxes)
- paper towel tubes
- recycled cups and containers
- masking tape
- kite string
- a wall/door with some space to build
- Micro:bit (with USB cord and battery pack). Purchase from Adafruit or on get the full starter kit on MakerShed
- Small 3V speaker. Comes in Maker Shed starter kit or purchase individually from Adafruit
- LEDs (Comes with Maker Shed mibro:bit start kit or purchase individually from Adafruit or from the Evil Mad Scientist.)
- Alligator clips and jumper wires. Purchase from Adafruit
- servo motor
- computer with an internet connection for coding the device
Ryan Jenkins is the co-founder and director of Wonderful Idea Co, a creative studio that explores art, science & technology through making and tinkering. He also works closely with Tinkering School to design camps/classes and he helps prototype hands-on workshops with the Cabaret Mechanical Theater in the UK.
Twitter: @wonderfulideaco and @ryanejenkins